Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 2014-07-13, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 07/13/2014 02:17 PM, Brian wrote:
>
>> However, Tom H is right. Blame systemd is the first port of call when
>> something doesn't work as expected. I nearly did it myself a day or
>> two ago. What do you expect 'cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX' *as a user*
>> on Jessie to do when /dev/sdX is the device for a USB stick?
>
> Exactly the same thing it would do on wheezy, or before. (Whatever that
> is; I can't say I've tried this, or read documentation advocating for or
> against it.)

I've seen documentation suggesting you can create a bootable usb stick
with a simple feline, but it appears this is now restricted
permissions-wise in version systemd/204-10 to the root user (or a member
of the disk group); the unexpected being, I guess, in this case, one of
those authoritative permission denied messages that strikes terror in
the hearts us regular users.