Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Mon 14 Jul 2014 at 03:14:18 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:44:20AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >
> > It's neither gratuitous nor disingenious. There's a pattern of someone
> > finding that something doesn't work the way that someone expects and
> > rather than going through the documentation or google first, there's a
> > post here with a more or less gleeful "I've found something broken in
> > systemd."
>
> The posts I've made were made because the issues I struck after
> installing systemd-sysv could happen to others in the future and whether
> it is a "teething bug" or an issue with systemd configuration at least
> there is a mention of it in the archives.

I think that is fair enough. You were asking about something you had
actually experienced and were unsure about. I still have the posts here;
factual and unfussy. But your questions didn't start with a seven
paragraph philosophical treatise and go on to doubt the reponses because
it didn't suit.

> Also, it is probably a good idea to get any concerns "out in the open"
> *before* Jessie becomes stable. There may be an issue that has been
> overlooked. e.g. for me the keyboard repeat rate slowed right down, and
> when I ggogled it I found that others have found that their's sped up. I
> have to use the kbdrate command to fix it.

That is fair enough too. Technical worries are definitely addressable
here. I did try out investigating your keyboard issue. Apart from
ruining a perfectly respectable keyboard setup I got nowhere. :)

> There are some differences between the way Debian has adopted systemd
> and the way upstream documents it, so it I think if there are any
> concerns about this then it is a good idea to raise the issue here.

Indeed.  We had one in this thread already (text logs). The person who
raised it helped me to a better understanding.

However, Tom H is right. Blame systemd is the first port of call when
something doesn't work as expected. I nearly did it myself a day or two
ago. What do you expect 'cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX' *as a user* on
Jessie to do when /dev/sdX is the device for a USB stick?