Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

On 07/06/14 23:59, Horatio Leragon wrote:

> [...]

root@test:/home/richard# aptitude search linux-image~i
i A linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64       - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs

i   linux-image-amd64               - Linux for 64-bit PCs
(meta-package)
root@test:/home/richard# dpkg --list 'linux-image-*' \
>     | perl -ane 'BEGIN { $r = `uname -r` or die; chomp $r } print
$F[1], "\n" if $F[0] eq "ii" && $F[1] !~ /\Q$r\E\b/' \
>     | xargs -r aptitude purge -y
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-image-amd64{p}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 5,120 B will be freed.
(Reading database ... 52129 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-amd64 ...

root@test:/home/richard#

There you are. There were no other kernel packages installed in this
case; I tend to keep my machines clear of old junk if I can.

The only package removed, then, was linux-image-amd64, the meta-package
that depends on the current linux-image package.

> I have tried it at least 7 times in the past two
> weeks (and why? because I'm learning how to use Debian. When I get meet
> a roadblock and no immediate help is at hand, even after googling for
> answers, I reformat my machine and start anew.)
>
>> Also, I'd recommend keeping the last good kernel as well.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation, but if and when I meet obstacles and
> can't solve them, I just have to reformat my machine and start afresh.

Fair enough - if you're working on a test machine, that's fine. If it's
a machine you rely on for your day-to-day work, it's a bit different.
Also, I probably should have mentioned that once you've used the new
kernel for a while, then yes you're probably safe to get rid of the old
one, as I had done above (but then also that was a test machine).

>> It is much more useful if you're able to evaluate it and figure out
> what it really does before you go ahead.
>
> In case you didn't already know, I've little knowledge of Debian. By the
> time I finish reading and understand the concepts of bash scripting, it
> may be two years from now.
>
> What do you recommend that I do during these two years?

You intend to finish? I don't - there's always more to learn. I've been
using Debian for maybe 13 years, and GNU/Linux for longer than that, and
still have plenty to learn about bash scripting and many other things.

Just keep using Debian, experimenting, reading the documentation,
searching the web and asking (polite) questions when needed. Ignore
other people's bad attitudes (but not necessarily what they're saying)
if you can. Remember that how expert or knowledgeable someone is is not
at all related to how polite they are. Do your best to understand what
the answers are saying - they may be wrong, they may be out of date, or
they may be answering a different question to the one you thought you'd
asked (which doesn't necessarily make them useless).

Richard