Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

Below is a scenario:

1. I do not have internet access during installation of Debian. The install routine will skip the steps of auto-configuring my network adapter.

2. After installation, I am able to find a place where internet access is available.

3. What are the commands to type to tell my installed Debian to auto-configure my network adapter?

4. Do I have to type the commands in a console tty1 or Gnome3 environment?