Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 04:14:57AM -0700, Horatio Leragon wrote:
>    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, given your preference for keeping things to a minimum, you may as
well do the following.

If the connection is wired and DHCP is available:
 #0: apt-get install isc-dhcp-client (I'm assuming you have your install
     CD handy)
 #1: sudo dhclient eth0

That should be enough to get you an IP, a nameserver and a default
route. Try "ping -c1 google.com" or else "ping -c1 8.8.8.8". If the
first fails, but the second works, append "namesever 8.8.8.8" to
/etc/resolv.conf

If the connection is wired, and DHCP is not available (i.e. a static IP
is provided)
  #1: ip address add x.x.x.x/yy dev eth0
  #2: ip route add default via z.z.z.z dev eth0
  #3: echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 >> /etc/resolv.conf

Where "x.x.x.x/yy" and "z.z.z.z" are the ip address (x.x.x.x), netmassk
(yy bits) and gateway server (z.z.z.z) that your friend provides.

If you visit this friend regularly, you might want to look at putting
something into /etc/network/interfaces (man interfaces has some good
examples).

If the connection is wireless, I would suggest installing wpasupplicant
and then following something like the ArchLinux page on how to use it:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wpa_supplicant