Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

On 07/06/14 03:38, Horatio Leragon wrote:

> I've been told and even scolded umpteen times by some so-called Debian
> experts here that I've to first find out the answers myself using search
> tools, the almighty Debian Reference Manual, etc, etc, etc.
>
> So I'm repeating what I've been brainwashed: please find out yourself
> what the above command does.

I'm not new to the list. I spent some time figuring out what they do, so
I think I have a pretty good idea what they do. I was interested to know
whether _you_ knew the answer.

>> The second has some significant pitfalls imho, though that depends on
> the question.
>
> I can tell you what the original question was as I was the one who asked.
>
> It was: how to remove old kernels and their corresponding entries in the
> Grub2 bootloader menu from my computer? (I only wanted to keep the
> latest upgraded kernel)

Right, that's a reasonable request. The answer, though, is not strictly
what you asked for: it also removes the kernel image metapackages, so
your kernel will not get new kernels when you do an apt-get upgrade.

Also, I'd recommend keeping the last good kernel as well.

So while it's a useful answer, I wouldn't say it's an awesome answer. It
is much more useful if you're able to evaluate it and figure out what it
really does before you go ahead.

Richard