Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sad that sysvinit's future seems pretty bleak but that's life.

I'm not. There's so much boilerplate in sysvinit scripts, and I'm
quite happy to see them replaced with something a lot simpler. The
system of coded comments at the top of a shell script to control
everything feels to me like a hack, bolted on to cope with something
that sysvinit scripts fundamentally aren't designed to do. Now, I have
no idea what goes on in the background (I'm not a developer *of*
Debian, just a software developer who *uses* Debian), but I'm quite
happy writing my programs to simply keep running in the foreground,
and then writing a tiny little config file for Upstart or systemd or
equivalent that says "Hey, I want you to invoke this like this".

Maybe there could be a better choice than systemd, but I'm not at all
sorry that sysvinit isn't the one staying. All my Wheezy systems have
Upstart at the moment; a job config file might be all of 3-10 lines,
which is about as long as the coded headers at the top of a sysvinit
script. With systemd, I can imagine service files being maybe twice
the Upstart size, at worst, so they're still pretty compact.

Yes, systemd has its issues (I have no idea what's going to happen
long-term with non-Linuxes, once everyone on Linux starts depending on
systemd). But I don't mourn sysvinit.

ChrisA