Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:14:17PM CEST, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> said:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:

> >> AFAIUI:
> >>
> >> It's not clear that systemd-shim is going to be updated to deal with
> >> systemd 208 (it works with systemd 204) because of changes in the
> >> kernel's cgroup implementation because Ubuntu's switching to systemd
> >> so it doesn't need to do so.
> >>
> >> So unless someone packages Ubuntu's cgmanager and patches logind 208
> >> to use it (and perhaps does even more than that), it's unlikely that
> >> systemd-shim will be useful in jessie as a systemd
> >> mini-/micro-substitute.
> >
> > You mean all messages saying "it is just the default, you will have
> > choice" were actually false...
>
> You'll have the choice to use sysvinit without logind or to use it
> with logind if systemd-shim & co are updated.
>
> The list of packages depending on logind is likely to grow so the list
> of packages that you can install without an alternative is likely to
> shrink.

Just what I said : it was a lie to speak of default with alternatives,
if less than a year after the alternatives are killed.

And looking at all the blocking bugs on systemd, I'm afraid. Such
major change should be done gradually with well tested software, not
software that beaks existing configurations.

I wionder why so much haste ?