Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On 2014-05-17 19:58 +0200, Martin Vegter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering whether systemd will be mandatory in Jessie.
> At the moment, I can install Jessie without systemd. Will this stay so,
> or will this change somewhere before Jessie becomes stable?

Depending on your needs, installing systemd might be mandatory in
unstable already (e.g. gdm3 indirectly depends on it), but you do _not_
have to install systemd-sysv and thus make it the default init system.

> I have servers running Jessie. Can I continue upgrading packages on a
> regular basis, without having to worry that one of these updates will
> uninstall half of my system and install systemd instead (and make my
> servers unbootable) ?

Why would installing systemd remove half of your system, and why do you
expect that your servers will not boot with systemd as init?

Cheers,
       Sven