Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

Le 17/05/2014 22:02, Tom H a écrit :
> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
>>> Depending on your needs, installing systemd might be mandatory in
>>> unstable already (e.g. gdm3 indirectly depends on it), but you do _not_
>>> have to install systemd-sysv and thus make it the default init system.
>> So systemd-sysv is the real systemd ? or is there someting else ?
> systemd-sysv uninstalls sysvinit-core and takes over "/sbin/init" so
> systemd is used as pid 1.
>
> If you don't install systemd-sysv, you have to add
> "init=/lib/systemd/systemd" to the kernel cmdline in order to use
> systemd as pid 1.

I do not particularly want to use it. I juste want to be prepared for
when the switch will be compulsory. And there is a package called
systemd which thus is *not* the systemd used as init, but something else
? And what about systemd-shim ? When to use one, when to use another ?

Thare are many packages, the documentation is  sparse, and very
difficult to read (vocabulary, construction of the text, etc...)

eg  take the man of systemd-logind. At the end there is a link to
"inhibition lock" documentation; However it is the first mention of
those inhibition locks...

Take systemd.service man age : speaks of sections, "units" without any
definitions of what is a unit and what is a section. For the latter one
can guess it must be sothing looking like a windows .ini file, but not
sure yet : the existing doc seems to be redacted *against* all unix
admins knowledge and habits.