Re: FW: [CTTE #727708] Default init system for Debian

Hi Scott,
Fair enough with this point; "a. The decision *was* made by Debian developers, as it should be. Those
that do, get to make decisions about how they do 'it' - those that use,
feel free to use elsewhere - or do their own fork instead of getting
others to do it for them."

Although I mentioned Gentoo, I've been using Debian for about 5 years now and like it, basing all my new linux systems on it, I just mentioned gentoo as contrast.

When you say Default, the difficulty of opting out plays a factor too. If something is so difficult to opt out of, it then becomes Debian's de facto system. It is a worry, perhaps there's some documentation of how to opt out, so I can look at this?

Is there a document that summarises what developers thought the pros and cons of each were? I've read LP's comments on systemd, but that hardly falls into the balanced camp.

James

On 12 February 2014 11:36, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/02/14 20:27, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> After reading through all the pros and cons, it seems that there isn't a
> good replacement at all, so it would be better to wait. Admittedly I use
> OpenRC on my gentoo machine and it's fine. Systemd seems to violate too
> many Unix principles and Upstart has problems with the canonical
> copyright licence issues. I'd hate to see Linux get pulled apart between
> Red Hat and Canonical, so it's important that Debian doesn't act
> precipitously.
> James

a. The decision *was* made by Debian developers, as it should be. Those
that do, get to make decisions about how they do 'it' - those that use,
feel free to use elsewhere - or do their own fork instead of getting
others to do it for them.
b. you're flogging a dead horse, the decision *has* been made.
c. it's the *default* init system for *Jessie*. Emphasis on default,
Debian's commitment to choice remains unaltered.

In a futile effort to forestall pointless and unproductive "opinions"
and the debatable 'right' of people to hold and express them.

NOTES: I'm not commenting specifically on your post James, it's just a
point in the thread to inject my opinion in support of the decision by
Debian Technical. Apropos of little - interesting how many of the, um,
most passionate views are expressed by those that *don't* use Debian....
(have deep emotional commitment will travel?).
If it's relevant - I don't prefer systemd, but I do prefer the Debian way.

Kind regards.

<snipped>