Re: FW: [CTTE #727708] Default init system for Debian

Le 12.02.2014 12:48, James Allsopp a écrit :
Hi Scott,
Fair enough with this point; "a. The decision *was* made by Debian
developers, as it should be. Those
 that do, get to make decisions about how they do 'it' - those that
use,
 feel free to use elsewhere - or do their own fork instead of getting
 others to do it for them."

Although I mentioned Gentoo, I've been using Debian for about 5 years
now and like it, basing all my new linux systems on it, I just
mentioned gentoo as contrast.

 When you say Default, the difficulty of opting out plays a factor
too. If something is so difficult to opt out of, it then becomes
Debian's de facto system. It is a worry, perhaps there's some
documentation of how to opt out, so I can look at this?

Do not worry about it. As a joke says on the internet, "Ubuntu" is an African word meaning "I can't configure Debian".

If I have no doubt that this is a joke and that there are Ubuntu power users, I think that Debian have a quite great percentage of tinkerers which will be able to produce lot of documents to replace an init system by another one. In fact, there already have some, which allowed me to give a try to systemd monthes ago. Plus, there still are the other kernels that Debian supports. Hurd is still unofficial ( I'm not sure about that ), but kFreeBSD is, and systemd is not compatible with it, so there will be a not too hard way to revert to sysVinit.