Re: FW: [CTTE #727708] Default init system for Debian

On 12/02/14 20:27, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> After reading through all the pros and cons, it seems that there isn't a
> good replacement at all, so it would be better to wait. Admittedly I use
> OpenRC on my gentoo machine and it's fine. Systemd seems to violate too
> many Unix principles and Upstart has problems with the canonical
> copyright licence issues. I'd hate to see Linux get pulled apart between
> Red Hat and Canonical, so it's important that Debian doesn't act
> precipitously.
> James

In a futile effort to forestall pointless and unproductive "opinions"
and the debatable 'right' of, people/users of the work of others, to
hold and "express" them (pissing up a rope?).

A. The decision *was* made by Debian developers, as it should be. Those
that do, get to make decisions about how they do 'it' - those that use,
feel free to use elsewhere - or do their own fork instead of getting
others to do it for them.
B. Those that object - you're flogging a dead horse, the decision *has*
been made. Rail elsewhere, take your ball and go home, move on etc.
C. It's the *default* init system for *Jessie*. Emphasis on default,
Debian's commitment to choice remains unaltered.

NOTES: I'm not commenting specifically on your post James, it's just an
arbitrary point in the thread to inject *my* opinion in support of the
decision by Debian Technical.
Apropos of little - interesting how many of the, um, most passionate
views are expressed by those that *don't* use Debian.... (have deep
emotional commitment will travel?).
If it's relevant - I don't prefer systemd, but I do prefer and support
the Debian way.

Kind regards.

<snipped>