Re: sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 21:43 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 12:13 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> > > Correct! And I suspect that it isn't allowed to sell and buy a good
> > > knife in Germany anymore without a "firearms licence" (this joke doesn't
> > > work in German, we don't have a "firearms licence", here it's called
> > > "weapon license"). IOW to get a good pastry chef's knife you need the
> > > same "weapon license" you need for a katana or pump gun. So people are
> > > used to use carp to cut a steak and they win the impression, that
> > > computer controlled machines can punch out good tools ... they simply
> > > don't know how good the quality of tools was just a few decades ago and
> > > they believe all the hype that in the digital age everything is better.
> > > It simply isn't better, quality of technology nowadays is as worse as it
> > > never was before, let alone social quality. When did they build the
> > > first katana ;)?
> >
> > This really belongs on the OT list but I'll reply anyway.
> >
> > Ralph, do you think monks in a Carpathian monastery lovingly hand
> > crafting parts can maintain the same tolerances as CNC machinery can? Or
> > are you against interchangeability? Assuming they could hold these
> > tolerances, how many people/companies could/would pay for them?
> >
> > Face it. You can only take this "good old days" schtik so far.
>
> Why does a manually wound coil for guitars does sound better than a
> mechanically wounded coil does? The mechanically wound coil is more
> precise! Don't underestimate human touch. The human brain is a
> super-computer, no computer build by humans is able to compare with our
> brains.

PS:

Do you ask a computer to compute who is the best person to be the
perfect boy/girl-friend? Is intuition less or more substantial?

If humans would be aware to program a CNC machine perfectly, they
perhaps could be better or at least equal to human work, but we are
unable to do it.

Humans "feel" the right point, a computer doesn't.