sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

Looking back on using Linux as a desktop OS for almost 15 years we've
seen tons of features added but not much in terms of 'bite'.

Hardware support is a lot better but still sucks when it comes to
consumer multi-media, gaming performance etc.

Someone wrote down a well documented list on all this and more

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/
why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

What bothers me most on this list is the mention of uncountable
regressions. Subjectively i came to the same conclusion as observed on
various occasion even with commercial products. The word uncountable
seems a bit harsh though not unimaginable. If so, this is bad, verry bad
as it indicates a possible lack of oversight and follow-up or peer
review.

Let's just hope there's nothing lurking beneath the surface shall we.
( Linux would not be generated by an AI would it not ? :D )

Fortunately there are some great projects ahead to improve the desktop,
let's keep them fingers crossed one more time :-)

I'm honestly a bit amazed the desktop is not a priority for developers
which often seem to be keen on serious gaming, at last the few I've met
seemed to be. Maybe they have a secret Microsoft box in the house for
that, or a console of sorts. Or an Apple.

Also, how many projects can one need for a specific purpose built on the
libraries of a parent project providing 80% of the functionality. How
much of these improvements go upstream, if at all ? I suspect the open-
and-free-model lacks the incentive to go forth with fusing projects to
making delivery of targets more timely.

Good developers are rare and should not be spread across so many
projects. Good developers resolve bugs rather than building an economy
upon them. A bug is a great marketing instrument for creating leverage,
but it's also something stuck in the back of one's head in the long run.

Please consider the above with a grain of salt, i am not always known for
a delicate choice of words.

Cheerio,

J.

--