Re: sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 01:07:55PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 12:05 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > >
> > > Not necessarily! We eat using classic knifes since several hundred years
> > > and btw. a good knife isn't produced by a computer controlled machine,
> > > but handcrafted by a craftsman.
> >
> > But these, sure as hell, aren't sold in grocery stores.
>
> Correct! And I suspect that it isn't allowed to sell and buy a good
> knife in Germany anymore without a "firearms licence" (this joke doesn't
> work in German, we don't have a "firearms licence", here it's called
> "weapon license"). IOW to get a good pastry chef's knife you need the
> same "weapon license" you need for a katana or pump gun. So people are
> used to use carp to cut a steak and they win the impression, that
> computer controlled machines can punch out good tools ... they simply
> don't know how good the quality of tools was just a few decades ago and
> they believe all the hype that in the digital age everything is better.
> It simply isn't better, quality of technology nowadays is as worse as it
> never was before, let alone social quality. When did they build the
> first katana ;)?

This really belongs on the OT list but I'll reply anyway.

Ralph, do you think monks in a Carpathian monastery lovingly hand
crafting parts can maintain the same tolerances as CNC machinery can? Or
are you against interchangeability? Assuming they could hold these
tolerances, how many people/companies could/would pay for them?

Face it. You can only take this "good old days" schtik so far.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped