Re: sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, yaro@marupa.net wrote:

These "reasons why Linux is not ready for the desktop" lists are so stupid.

The whole question of whether Linux is 'ready for the desktop' is specious. This statement presumes that everyone has the same desktop requirements which they demonstratably do not.

I've been using Linux on the desktop continuously since 1994. It is clear that it was ready for my desktop in 1994.

A lot of Linux geeks spent a lot of time worrying about Microsoft's desktop dominance over those years. I would often hear people claim that Linux had to get on to the desktop *now* (1999, 2004, 2007, etc) or it would be locked out *forever*.

I concluded some time in the late 90s that sooner or later a disruptive technology would come along and completely rewrite the rules on computer interfaces, making any current desktop dominance irrelevant.

Mobile computing is a sufficiently disruptive technology that it has done this. Note that I did not know *what* the disruptive technology would be but I was sure there would be one. In particular I used to make the point that 40 years ago the desktop as we know it didn't exist and I was sure it would not exist in 40 years time.

FWIW I expect yet another disruptive technology to come along soon. I very much doubt we'll be using a single finger or thumb to type on small mobile screens to get anything done in 10 years time.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440