Re: sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

Ralf Mardorf writes:
 > On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 10:26 +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
 > > In the long term  the support he gets from XP  could become worse than
 > > the support supplied by GNU/Linux. It does not seem wise to me.
 >
 > There are some cracked XP and 98 se versions out there, that are as good

Cracked? Patched by the user or supplied by some "unorthodox" supplier?

 > as FreeBSD and Linux for many usages, it's also possible to tune a legal
 > XP and 98 se to be good for many usages.
 >
 > The advantage of Windows over Debian is hardware support and that more
 > people get payed for writing software for exotic usages, such as audio
 > and video editing.

Today that's indeed true.

When an hardware maker builds a new  device he sends a specimen of the
device and  the driver in  Redmond to  get the Microsoft  blessing and
sell more.

Tomorrow could be a different tune.

If the device is worth the effort, Microsoft will include the support
in the system. I should ask to some of my friends who work(ed) there
if all the device that receive the "designed for Windows X" get an
automatic-embedded-in-the-OS support in Windows X+1.

 > _But_ IMO it's important to share knowledge. One of the things a
 > computer and networks are good for, is sharing knowledge and sharing
 > news from different points of view.
 >
 > 1. Open source is needed. IOW I won't use Microsoft and Apple.

I could use Apple HW for sure. Maybe even Mac OS X, after all it's a Unix.

What I  need more than Open  Source is Free Software.  You know, Apple
discontinues PowerPC units and GNU/Linux still supplies up to date (or
almost up to date - my attempt  to install the latest stable on a Lamp
failed since it left the system unusable).

 > 2. I e.g. want to read the news from Israel and Palestine, of the USA
 >    and the Iran. Could be done with MS and Apple, but in some countries
 >    we need security ... did I wrote some? ... in all countries we need
 >    security when doing this, so FLOSS is the better way to go, since
 >    there are likely less backdoors for the bad guys, if any.

I heard about some doubts about TrueCrypt...

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO