Re: Problem creating iso for a USB stick

Hi,

> See my previous mail. Made it work with xorriso 1.3.4. Do you still
> want me to go ahead and do what you wrote below?

We could be curious and leave out the options

  -eltorito-alt-boot -e boot/grub/efi.img -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat

If my theory about the need for GPT and EFI is correct,
then the resulting image should fail to boot.

If it does boot too, then one should file a bug report and
ask for an update of xorriso in the stable release.
In this case it would help to test again with the xorriso-1.3.2
package from Debian "testing". This one would be more
acceptable than a freshly uploaded 1.3.4, because it is
longer tested and would be less work for the Debian people.

> It's weird though, because the actual
> installation seems to fail afterwards (the partitioning complains
> about something related to EFI, I would need to double check). But
> that's another issue.

If you get to the Debian installer menu, then the firmware, xorriso
and the bootloader (SYSLINUX for BIOS or GRUB2 for EFI) have done
their job properly.

Any further failure would be an issue for the debian-installer
people, i assume. I would advise to first test with the original
netinst ISO, because they might not feel in charge for your
altered one.
Either you will find that the original works and possibly learn
what you did wrong during modification, or it wont't work and
is worth a bug report then.

One possible pitfall with your new image could be the Volume Id,
which is supposed to show up in the booted system underneath
directory /dev/disk/by-label.
If the Debian installer looks for its own name, it will find
"ISOIMAGE" instead, unless you used the original option:
  -V 'Debian 7.3.0 amd64 1'

Have a nice day :)

Thomas