Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

Le 12.11.2013 14:32, Miles Fidelman a écrit :
Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 23:01 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
Install a Linux and call it Windows 2014 - super professional special admin edition and this kind of user will have no issue, call it Linux
and they will ask you to remove it and reinstall Windows again.
I agree :)

This is a good point.
Quasi the only point of my reply, so I should have send just this note.

Most dual Windows/Linux booters who used Windows for years never ever seriously will switch to Linux. I suspect that many users have trouble with Windows. When they switch to Linux they expect to get rid of the trouble, but they will experience more, since the thing between monitor
and chair is the culprit and not the OS, so they likely will boot
Windows only.

That's a very interesting point, but I wonder if it's true.  There
are real-world reasons to run both windows on linux on the same
machine (personal example: running Linux on my laptop for development
and demonstrations; running Windows for office applications).

But, having said that, when one really uses two operating systems on
the same machine, I expect it's more common to run one under
virtualization, so you can run both at the same time - dual booting is
a real pain if one is really USING both operating systems.

What are other people's experiences?  How many folks here use Windows
(or Mac o/s) on the same machine as a linux distribution? Do you
dual-boot or do you virtualize?

Miles Fidelman

It is exactly the situation I had.

First, I was a DOS user. Then, windows (3.1) appeared (in my house), and I started to use both. Several years later, I learned software programming, and other computer sciences by myself, and learned about linux. It sounded very nice, so I 1st tried to install a Debian. I was not able to use it without a damned Xorg server, so get back to windows XP (I also tried Ubuntu, but disliked the GUI, which did not gave me as many possibilities as what I had with windows. In my knowledge of that time, of course.).

Some years later, I gave Debian another try. It had a DE installed by default, so I was able to use it. I had 2 hard drives, one with windows, and the other with Debian. Most of the time, I was on windows, because I was able to do much more things on windows ( games usually does not run as efficiently through wine, when they work, than on windows ). At a moment, I was able to acquire old computers which could not make my games running, on them I installed Debian, again. Few month later, my windows computer died, forcing me to switch to Debian.

Now, I have bought powerful enough hardware to run my games, but I only rarely switch to windows, because I'm too used to Debian. If my computer did not died, or if I had enough money at that time to repair it, I would probably still be spending most of my time with windows.