Re: Why Debian

how does a novice begin with debian?  Tom

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
I appreciate your position, Conrad.

I will close with this.  There are still threats regardless of the
(fortunately) stupefying way the SCO lawsuits went.  Microsoft has been
waving the patent threat over Android and getting hardware suppliers
that incorporate Android into their products to sign agreements and pay
MS.  Perhaps I have not been paying attention but I have not seen what
patents are supposedly being infringed upon, if any.  What do the
alleged patents cover?  I don't know.  Could they cover the kernel or
userspace common to Debian and other distributions or do they cover
Android userspace?  If it's the latter, it is not of much concern of
Debian but the former would be important to know.  That we don't know
makes me think that this is little more than a revenue stream shakedown
on the part of MS, but I cannot believe that with certainty.

One thing about Debian is that for those who believe strongly about it
and the community, the door is open to becoming a Debian Developer and
being able to participate in the project.  So far I have not had that
desire so I remain a user and watch from the bleachers.  Part and parcel
to that is accepting what the developers decide and if some change is
intolerable, look elsewhere.  So far elsewhere has led me back to
Debian.

Perhaps this is the best part of Debian, it's community can contain a
wide swath of opinion and yet the project continues to produce an
excellent product.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."