Re: How to start using a free OS (was: Why Debian)

On 11/12/13, David F <debian@meta-dynamic.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2013 10:17 AM, thomas aylward wrote:
>> how does a novice begin with debian?  Tom

> The reason why I bring this up is that when a user tries to switch from a
> proprietary OS to a free OS, the switching of the core operating system is
> likely nearly invisible to them; but they often are also switching many of
> the applications that they use every day, and this is where it becomes such
> a difficult transition and a steep learning curve.
>
> But, some (many?) of these free software applications can also run on
> proprietary OSs (2).  So, my advice to a novice who is using a proprietary
> OS and wants to begin with Debian, or any other free OS, is to start by
> using free software on their proprietary OS.

ACK

Double ACK

Very good suggestion here. I've made the same suggestion more times
than I can count, and re specific software in most cases (adding "the
more free/libre software you are using, the easier it is to jump away
from PROPRIETARY_OS), eg audacity, firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice,
gimp, truecrypt and a long list more of course.