Re: Why Debian

Le 10.11.2013 09:36, Conrad Nelson a écrit :
I stand by my original point: The Hurd and kfreebsd flavors of Debian
are a waste of resources when they could make Debian a more tightly
integrated Linux system. It'd be great if Debian actually could do
something like switch to systemd and be one of the first "mother
Linuxes" to actually abandon the awful sysvinit setup that not even
most UNIX today have to put up with anymore. The reason this isn't
happening is because Debian wants kfreebsd where maybe a handful of
long-term users are even likely? For Hurd where it's almost guaranteed there's NO serious long-term prospects? These little side projects for
Debian are still, in my opinion, a waste of Debian's potential and
resources.

- Nate

I will speak about possibilities, not facts, here. But, being able to work with different kernels makes it easier to port the whole system to another one. For now, Linux is the mainstream kernel, moving fast for new technologies. But, what if tomorrow, a new promising kernel appear?

If it would be, then Debian would be the only distribution able to use it, without lot of changes. An example I could think about could be reactos' kernel. I did not tried it, and, as hurd, it is still a beta, but it seems to still be alive. Unlike hurd, they know what they want (I read a little about hurd recently, and, hell, they are so useless that they tried to switch to at least 3 micro kernels those 10 years, instead of keeping their work concentrated on what they already had... but I am not surprised, I have already read GNU coding guidelines/rules) and does not seem to be switching technologies every 3 years.

Now, about systemd. The reasons summoned by people not liking it is not only about it's lacks of portability, but I think you know that. But it's useless to speak about it here, since there is currently a dedicated thread on that list.