Re: Why Debian

On 11/09/2013 01:42 PM, legacy daily wrote:
DFSG rocks! FOSS is the right way. I use Debian strictly because of its adherence to these principles. There is plenty of dogma and bending of rules elsewhere. If it changes its principles it will be something else maybe Ubuntu or something else but not Debian any longer.

- ld

Let me point out that while I'm not a fan of dogma, I can respect if it is something other users find important. I still hold to my opinion though that the idea of "free software" or "open source" is not likely to be that important to the average end user who doesn't have any particular need or desire to see the source code.

Please understand I think FOSS is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT and VERY high quality. I certainly appreciate it myself as a programmer. My point is more toward the usability and perception issues that often plague many Linux distributions, due in no small part to a blind "we must be free" mentality I often see. A good term for it is zealotry. I'm not the type who actually views whether software is open sourrce as a moral/ethical issue. A legal one, certainly, but only in the sense that licenses do have an impact how individuals, groups, and businesses will end up using the software.