Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 21/10/13 01:48 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 18:28 +0200, Markus Falb wrote:
Likely gvfs caused unneeded spin ups and spin downs when you used Suse,
but you didn't hear a click noise, because the drive wasn't damaged at
this time. Now that you are using Debian, your drive already is damaged.

I am trying to remember what I used since I bought this laptop. The first OS that I used was OpenSUSE, but I used the KDE edition with it. I don't think KDE uses gvfs. The only reason I switched from openSUSE was that it had limited packages and I didn't do well with its 1-click system. During my opensuse period I had no complaints at all. And I heard no clicks.

The first time I had problems with my laptop was Xubuntu 12.04. I switched to this OS because I wanted a lightweight OS based on ubuntu, which would allow me to use more packages including PPA's. I removed this OS mainly because I was hearing these clicks. I tried switching back to see if it improves but it never did...

I used Fedora and Manjaro later on and I never heard clicks with them, but you may be right in that gvfs was smashing my hard drive with these OS's too. Nevertheless my machine was silent and I can't say anything against these OS's.

Given that Debian Wheezy is very similar to (X)Ubuntu 12.04 Long Term, how safe it is now to use Debian?

S. Sahin