Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 18:28 +0200, Markus Falb wrote:
> your disk had 656598 cycles

I own a relatively new external HDD and the first weeks it spin down and
up every 30 minutes, that's why the load cycle count is much to high.

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   198   198   000    Old_age   Always       -       6391

As you can see my relatively new HDD has much less cycles than yours
Sureyya Sahin. If your drive is a new drive, than it likely is a victim
of the broken gvfs. Gvfs wakes up drives without reason, after they
parked. In the EU there's a law that external drives must park after a
while. Gvfs doesn't care about it. By a command you can turn of the park
function of the drive, or if you want that the drive does park or if it
should be an USB drive behind a controller, so that you can't use this
command, your only choice is to remove gvfs. FWIW when gvfs wakes up the
drive, this doesn't cause a click noise, only a drive that is close to
it's death makes this noise, when the heads are released.

Likely gvfs caused unneeded spin ups and spin downs when you used Suse,
but you didn't hear a click noise, because the drive wasn't damaged at
this time. Now that you are using Debian, your drive already is damaged.

For a certainty of 90% I now guess gvfs is the culprit, but I suspect
you don't need to care about it anymore, backup all your data.

:(

Regards,
Ralf