Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 21.Okt.2013, at 19:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> FWIW when gvfs wakes up the
> drive, this doesn't cause a click noise, only a drive that is close to
> it's death makes this noise, when the heads are released.

Putting a harddisk to sleep and wake it up does not make a click noise. Only thing it does is beginning to rotate, or stop.
But putting a harddisk to sleep is not the same as parking it's heads. These are two different functions. Normal sleep does not automatically involve parking it's heads, AFAIK.

Parking the head's (or unparking them, or both) *is* making a click, albeit relatively low noise.
My experience is it's also drive dependent, some drive models make louder noise than other.

I also have stumbled about some thing called "Laptop mode" in linux, not sure how it relates to those things.
--
Markus