Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On 10/15/2013 1:21 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

Programmers nowadays do not have to manage computer's memory too, but it
seem that when they know how low level works they write more robust
programs.

Not necessarily.  I've seen great programmers who don't know or worry
about the internals.  And I've seen poor programmers who grew up
building their own hardware.  There is little relationship between
knowledge of the underlying hardware and ability to program.

Unless you care about things like performance or resiliancy. Gaming, big
data analysis, real-time control, anything that does physical i/o, etc.,
etc., etc.

Application programmers do not do real-time control, physical I/O, etc. Those are system programmers. Gaming is a very specialized area, which most programmers never get into. Same with big data analysis - although that is normally done on large supercomputers - or at least mainframes (some people think 1M rows of data in a database is "big").

None of which has anything to do with the OSI layers or programming.
They are all sysadmin functions.

Again, unless you need to write network code.  Or write a distributed
application.

Again, system programmers. And even with a distributed application you don't need to know about how the network works.