Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Le 12.10.2013 13:50, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 06:19 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
don't you think most home use "single-user" systems have 2 people ??

Germany has become a society of singles, solo parents and of people who
live in relationships, but with separated households.
<snip>
Even in
Europe it's likely different for meridional nations.

True. We are neighbors (in term of country, I mean) and I have some difficulties to imagine a family where people have each their own house. Thanks for info, it is a quite interesting thing to know. In France, when two persons form a couple, they usually start at a moment (duration varies of course) or another to live in the same house and start sharing their material possessions as well (this is only to confirm that it differs greatly in Europe, it seems to be the opposite as Germany and we share frontiers and history).

About the number of phones being greater than the number of people, I could have said that it could be made by the fact than people needs professional and private phones, but it is not true for all jobs. Could you explain me the use of more than 1 phone per person? (just pure curiosity, I try to keep my mind open, as much as possible. I feel like it becomes harder with the time.)

ok, then it becomes a multi-user-network, however, I suspect
that here most "single-user" systems do _not_ have 2 people.

It is a particular kind multi-user-network, at least how I understood what you described, where everyone have the same role. LAN parties (1) are usually made without a real DHCP server, with "hard-coded" IP addressees. There could also be a configuration of a couple both using their own computer in the same room, but it seem to conflicts with previous statements.

1: of course, a DHCP can helps, and I have seen those made by an association starting to buy and configure dedicated hardware. But even then, the last time I went there they had not setup a DHCP. Windows is able to build a network without IP conflicts very well, in default configurations. I strongly doubt that Debian would be, but, of course, there is no DHCP daemon in default installations of end-user Debian systems. Plus, even if everyone had a DHCP, some magic would have to be made to make them able to discuss about which computer should take which address. Magic which is already present in Windows XP (not sure about more recent ones)

PS: I have split your comment to extract a part of it, I hope I not have moved things out of context.