Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

Programmers nowadays do not have to manage computer's memory too, but it
seem that when they know how low level works they write more robust
programs.

Not necessarily. I've seen great programmers who don't know or worry about the internals. And I've seen poor programmers who grew up building their own hardware. There is little relationship between knowledge of the underlying hardware and ability to program.

Unless you care about things like performance or resiliancy. Gaming, big data analysis, real-time control, anything that does physical i/o, etc., etc., etc.

None of which has anything to do with the OSI layers or programming. They are all sysadmin functions.

Again, unless you need to write network code. Or write a distributed application.