Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:15:16 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Joe writes:
> > I think the vast majority of computers are used with an Internet
> > connection, which these days means a router rather than a modem.
>
> 1) A dialup connection to the Internet is still an Internet
> connection.

Indeed, but it tends not to involve local networking. And before your
done it. I've only networked the odd mobile dongle. I do know of a
couple of people who use dial-up, but they are very much the exception
rather than the rule.

> 2) A DSL or cable modem is still a modem
> (MOdulator/DEModulator),

As I am aware. Did you ask?

> though most include routers and other
> useless stuff.

 ..when it is normally customary to refer to them as routers. Pedants
might call them modem-routers, but nobody else does. Occasionally it is
necessary to call them DSL or cable routers to distinguish them from
each other.

What's the point here of the pedantry? The current sub-topic is about
automatic local network configuration, which anyone with a single
computer on a PPP Internet connection doesn't need. Modems by
definition use PPP links, and most people don't use their PCs or
laptops as routers. And yes, before you reply, I know they can. I used
to know without looking it up where the Windows registry key for TCP/IP
forwarding was.

--
Joe