Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On 10/14/2013 4:37 AM, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 07:53:50 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 09:19:18PM +0100, Joe wrote:
though most include routers and other
useless stuff.

  ..when it is normally customary to refer to them as routers.
Pedants might call them modem-routers, but nobody else does.

Um, you can get routers without a modem, so the difference is
important and not just pedantry!

Yes. I know that as well, having two myself. But I am unusual in that
respect, as exceedingly few homes or small-to-medium size businesses
have any need for even one.

In the large majority of networks, 'router' is taken to mean the (A)DSL
modem-router-DNS-server-DHCP-server-firewall-etc that plugs into the
telephone line.

Maybe where you are, but not in the world scheme of things.

A router is a specific box. A (A)DSL modem may also contain a firewall, etc. But most (A)DSL modems, cable modems, etc., only have one Ethernet port. So people install routers in addition to the one which may or may not be in the (A)DSL modem.

Modems and routers are two entirely different things, with completely different uses. One box may contain both - but that does not mean all modems are routers (or vice versa).

Jerry