Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 07:53:50 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 09:19:18PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> > > though most include routers and other
> > > useless stuff.
> >
> >  ..when it is normally customary to refer to them as routers.
> > Pedants might call them modem-routers, but nobody else does.
>
> Um, you can get routers without a modem, so the difference is
> important and not just pedantry!

Yes. I know that as well, having two myself. But I am unusual in that
respect, as exceedingly few homes or small-to-medium size businesses
have any need for even one.

In the large majority of networks, 'router' is taken to mean the (A)DSL
modem-router-DNS-server-DHCP-server-firewall-etc that plugs into the
telephone line.

--
Joe