Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:43:21PM +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> I know I wont teach that to anyone here, but modems are not
> computing stuff, at all. They are simply here to transform numeric
> signals to analogical ones, and vice versa. I wonder why someone
> would explicitly call the boxes "router-modem"...

Ummm, Under the router which is plugged into the phone line:
"ADSL2+ WiFi Modem Router" (without the hyphen!)

Under my other router "Wireless router" and yes, it has no modem
capability (as the name implies!)

So IOW, if you are purchasing a router which you also wish to use as a
modem then it better be written on the box!, cause the store owners
won't take too kindly in ripping off the shrink wrap to examine the
contents.

> Nobody does, ...

Huh? See above for reasons to distinguish them

> For routers, it is quite obvious that it
> will need to be able to communicate with networks it is connected
> to, so really no use for the modem word here.

Unless you need one with a modem!

oppressing." --- Malcolm X