Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Le 15.10.2013 19:32, Chris Bannister a écrit :
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:43:21PM +0200,
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
I know I wont teach that to anyone here, but modems are not
computing stuff, at all. They are simply here to transform numeric
signals to analogical ones, and vice versa. I wonder why someone
would explicitly call the boxes "router-modem"...

Ummm, Under the router which is plugged into the phone line:
"ADSL2+ WiFi Modem Router" (without the hyphen!)

Under my other router "Wireless router" and yes, it has no modem
capability (as the name implies!)

Do you think the radio waves are binary signal?

So IOW, if you are purchasing a router which you also wish to use as a
modem then it better be written on the box!, cause the store owners
won't take too kindly in ripping off the shrink wrap to examine the
contents.

If I buy a computer to listen music, I should ensure myself that there is a sound card in it. Obviously. And I should take some more time to determine if that sound card is good enough for my needs, or change computer (or only adding the card, depending on my knowledge).

For routers, it is quite obvious that it
will need to be able to communicate with networks it is connected
to, so really no use for the modem word here.

Unless you need one with a modem!

Of course. If one of the networks is based on a numeric signal, and the other based on analog signal, you will need an adequate modem.