Re: Building computer - power supplies

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 09/29/2013 06:02 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> /snip/
>>>
>>> Do I understand correctly that there are two switching power supply
>>> chips at the input to the CPU to produce 3.3Volts? Obviously, a linera
>>> regulator cannot produce and gain in current. Iin = Iout for linear
>>> regulators.
>>
>> I7m confused. Did you mean can't produce a gain in current or power?
>>
>> --
>> Joel Rees
>
> There's a type there. The word "and" should read "any."

Typo, huh? Can't win for losing? ;-) (But that wasn't what was confusing me.)

> A linear regulator can only output as much current as goes in to it--
> it functions as a variable resistance witha regulated voltage output.

And I see now that you were talking about a part, not a power supply,
when you said regulator there.

We used to call power supplies that put a transformer on the wall
power and rectified, clamped, and smoothed it after the transformer a
liner power supply. (As opposed to the new-fangled switching power
supply that some engineers at the time swore were too dangerous to put
in consumer grade equipment.)

> [...]

I think, if we want to make information on power supplies more
accessible to the list members trying to spec hardware for a new Linux
box, or trying to figure out whether the power supply could be the
reason the third disk drive sometimes is not seen by the system, we'll
probably need to draw some pictures. (I'm not volunteering today.
Maybe next week.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.