Re: Building computer - power supplies

On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 07:36 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> It simply makes wiring your PC more difficult, as you have to balance
> your 12V devices across an arbitrary boundary placed across the 12V
> output current of your power supply.

> And of course, now you should be asking yourself, given what I've
> stated, and if 1 rail is better for servers, why are 2/3/4 rails
> supposedly better for a consumer PC?  And of course the answer is, more
> rails is not better.  It's worse.

What should be more worse, excepted of the fact that in theory the user
needs to take care about balancing the 12V devices across the several
connectors? An advantage perhaps would be, that if one fails, the others
still would work and the spare part could be taken from another old PSU.
And btw. vendors buy components galore from vendors that produced them
galore and have tons of them stocked. IOW by using those components they
can make very low prices. Some components that can't be used for
anything else, sometimes would become hazardous waste, if they wouldn't
use them anymore. What technically makes more sense, not always is that
simple regarding to economy and ecology.

Rising prices seldom are caused by the cause you mentioned. The milk in
the same bottles also become more expensive in the last years.

However, undersized voltage for capacitors for switching power supply is
an often used fraud against consumers and switching power supplies
pollute the mains. Exotic resistors sometimes make them a PITA when you
want to repair one and you don't have those resistors on stock. I
dislike all switching power supplies.

Regards,
Ralf