Re: Building computer

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Stan, joking aside, are there any AMD processors you would recommend
>>> for doing kernel and driver level Android/ARM development in a VM?
>>>
>>> How likely would I be to find such a processor in a netbook or laptop?
>>
>> How likely is one to find a kernel developer doing any real work on a
>> laptop?  Throwing a netbook into the question is just silly.

The reason I ask, Stan, is that I'm preparing to take a class where
I'll be studying Super H assembly language programming, writing device
drivers for an embedded SH3 running a Linux kernel, and such.

I'd like to prepare a portable emulation environment for the class,
since I know I'll be wanting to do homework when the lab is not
available. Renasas points to an SH4 emulator by Kawasaki-san that runs
under QEMU, but at times I will likely be debugging the emulator as
well as my own code. And I'll be doing a lot of compiles in the
emulated system.

I'll be biking to the class some days and walking other days, so I'd
like a 12 inch screen form factor to fit in my bag and not break my
back, which pretty much says netbook. Many netbooks have output for
external monitors, which will help at home, at least.

At this point, I've been kind of looking at Acer's Aspire (heh) V5-122
with an AMD A4-1250 and 4G RAM, or a similar V5 with an AMD A6-1450.
I'm trying to figure out whether they support QEMU. If so, I'm
thinking the 4-core A6 will be worth the extra 5000 yen, a pair of
core for the host OS and I/O, and another core for the emulation
environment makes three.

I'm also looking at an HP dm1-4400, but the processor there is an AMD
E2-1800, which seems to be last year's tech and a little heavier on
battery use. It's only two cores, and only 2G RAM in the version at
the store where I was looking at it (Sofmap in Umeda -- Osaka), but
maybe HP is sturdier than Acer. I need to look at that.

(I sat on my Lenovo ideapad s100, and now I can only use it with the
external monitor, so I'm a bit sensitive to sturdiness now. Not that I
plan on sitting on any more computers, of course. Should not have
taken the thing to church after programming all Saturday night. And,
no, I have not been running qemu on the ideapad. It's a single-core
Atom. Bleagh.)

> I'm pretty sure that I've seen a thread where kernel developers (Linus
> included) who were discussing kernel compilation time on laptops.

Thanks for the data points, Tom.

> (I've compiled a kernel on a netbook; you'd better have a few hours to spare...)

That's a given. I'm not planning on compiling the kernel every day,
but I will be compiling loadable modules, cross or under emulation,
pretty regularly, at some point
--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.