Re: Don't want a desktop environment

On 9/23/13, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2013 06:49 PM, Morel Bérenger wrote:

>> For the 2nd issue, it seems you do not have installed a package for
>> me.  Package which could have been automatically installed by whatever
>> other wm you use, or any other software.
>> I already had issues with softwares which had silent dependencies in
>> Debian. It is easy for developpers to forgot about one of those when
>> then are making tests on systems using a complete desktop environment,
>> and users as me (us?) which prefers to keep systems as light as
>> possible suffers from that.
>> After all, how could a window manager break automatic URL management?

> it works in all other WM, MATE, Gnome, xfce, but not i3..

Sounds like i3 config problem (haven't tried it myself yet)

>> For the 3rd and hopefully last issue you had, it is definitely not a
>> i3 problem, since as you say, "I went back to Trinity WM".
>> I3 just have no way to remember that a window was in fullscreen.
>> Often, web browsers implements their own window manager internally,
>> which allows to fullscreen. Since thunderbird is made on the same
>> basis as firefox, I guess they use the same GUI tools, and so that you
>> are using the internal full screen mode.

> it never went full-screen until I ran i3. Even though I brought it out
> of full-screen before I closed I3, when I ran thunderbird again in
> gnome, it ran full-screen with no way to close it. I never had a window
> before that didn't have the X box to close the window before I ran i3.

Sounds like thunderbird is remembering fullscreen.

Have you tried F11 to switch between full-screen (maximized) and non-maximised?

If it is larger than full screen, and window borders cannot be seed,
try using one of your meta-keys (eg "log" or "windows logo" key) with
mouse, to drag the window around.

Good luck
Zenaan