Don't want a desktop environment

Greetings!
I'm a noob coming from Ubuntu, wanting a cleaner, quicker system.
More specifically, I would like to try the I3 window manager which seems really nice.

So I try to install Debian and I deselect the "Desktop" checkbox. This gives me
a system where I can log in to a bash shell, but where do I go from here?
I manage to install i3 by doing
aptitude install i3
but I understand I need to do more than that. Seems like I need some display manager also?
I did try to do
aptitude install slim
which installs, but it's not like it magically autostarts when I boot the system.
What I need is to config slim to autostart, which will run i3 upon login?
Or do I need to set up the X server to autostart?

Thanks for any help!