Re: How to customize keys under X?

On 9/23/13, Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>> On 9/22/13, Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to customize keys in Debian.  I want to set f2/f3/f4/f8 to
>>> cut/copy/paste/switch-applications.  For switching applications, I tried
>>> setting f8 in Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Navigation, but it
>>> didn't help; neither Alt+Tab nor f8 worked after that change.
>>
>> Gnome3 I can't help you sorry.
>>
>>> I searched the web and found IronAHK.  I haven't tried it, but it is
>>> unmaintained.  Relying on unmaintained softwares isn't a good idea.  I
>>> also found (and tried) xbindkeys and xdotool, but I can't get them to
>>> work.
>>
>> xdotool I use to have a keyboard key provide a mouse click for me.
>> Very useful. Probably would not work to switch applications. May be
>> Gnome3 is the problem for you? I don't know sorry.
>
> Would you please share how to do cut/copy/paste by xdotool (if you
> know)?  Thank you.

All I do is select text using normal mouse, then move mouse to where I
want to paste, then I can middle click, or use my keyboard xdotool
assignment to "click the middle mouse" where I just placed the cursor.
Sometimes this is more efficient that clicking actual mouse button for
paste.

It's not very fancy, but I like it and use it here and there - left
hand for mouse movement and left and right clicks, right hand for
keyboard and middle clicks.

When I use LibreOffice Writer for word processing documents, I use
mouse to choose location if it's far away from where I am now, then
use keyboard for selection, and cut or copy:

CTLR-RightArrow to move a word at a time to right

CTLR-SHIFT-RightArrow to increase selection by a word at a time to right

SHIFT-RightArrow to increase selection by a char at a time to right

and similarly etc..

Good luck
Zenaan