Re: Don't want a desktop environment

On 09/21, Fred wrote:
> Greetings!
> I'm a noob coming from Ubuntu, wanting a cleaner, quicker system.
> More specifically, I would like to try the I3 window manager which seems
> really nice.
>
> Or do I need to set up the X server to autostart?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Hello fred

i3 is a very good wm

you need to do this at the cli

aptitude install i3-wm i3lock i3status suckless-tools

Good documentation http://i3wm.org/docs/ https://faq.i3wm.org/questions/

There is currently an irc channel dedicated to i3 / i think they made it rc.twice-irc.de channel #i3

Also since your going to be booting to the cli you will possibly need to change your runlevl in /etc/inittab

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-changing-run-levels.html (Run level)

Also you might need to use .xinitrc or .xsession to boot up i3

Configuration

Edit your ~/.xinitrc and add:
exec i3

Once that is done type in startx