Re: Broken threads and missing quotations

On 9/23/13, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently got back from holiday.  I have found catching up on the list
> really
> difficult because so many people now break threads and don't trim quotes,
> or,
> even worse, do not quote at all.

If you MUA has such a setting, I recommend about 70-chars line length
for emails, to minimise the "single word on next line after quoting
and wrapping" problem, seen above ..

> What on earth am I to make of, for example:
> Re Widgets <but not connected in any way to the thread>:
> Yes, I quite agree, Stephen.  But I find it helpful if you use the spade.

A good enigmatic find! Well done. I have long since given up trying to
read _every_ thread on d-u, focussing on those where I think I might
be able to help. Looks like I missed some humour, or enigmour at the
least :)

> Or when people do quote, person after person top quotes, interspersed with
> people bottom quoting.  Made worse by long paragraphs with no breaks.

Or paragraphs just short enough without quoting, but begin wrapping
with even a single quotation level of indentation :)

> _Please_ people.  The idea is that we should help each other and that that
> help should be available in the archive for searchers to find.  We need to
> be
> both legible and comprehensible.

I agree.