Re: I wish to advocate linux

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 21:32 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> I don't think I've ever seen a live CD for either Windows or
> MacOS (well, the install DVD sort of is, but...).  And I sure as heck
> don't think you can get Windows or MacOS to run off a USB stick.  On the
> other hand, I CAN carry a full copy of Linux (or BSD) on my keyring -
> for some applications that's kind of useful.

There are DOS live medias, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeDOS and the
industry drops Linux more and more and does use Windows Microsoft OS
instead for stand alone gear. You'll find Linux still in satellite
receivers, but for industry measuring instruments and other gear, Linux
becomes less used with each new day, it's replaced by Windows.

Cities that switched from Microsoft to Linux, for their departments,
switched back to Windows.

Windows is more often used than Linux and not missing functionality,
assumed you don't expect an editor that only can be used with tons of
short cuts and preferences have to be written in an obscure language
etc. ;).

The question is not what OS is the better OS. There is an idea behind
FLOSS operating systems. Apple and Microsoft have more commercial
success. If people want to join the winner team, then they need to use
Apple and Microsoft.

We're using Linux for different reasons, but comparison to Microsoft and
Apple are useless. The policy of both companies is different to the
policy of the *NIX communities.

Linux isn't a replacement for Windows and Apple. If somebody needs Apple
and Microsoft features, than it's not smart to use Linux.

There are fields of application that can't be done with Linux. There
e.g. is no professional FLOSS non linear video editing software for
Linux.

Perhaps users often are mislead regarding to comparisons and claims that
Linux should be better than Windows. It is, but not in comparison to
Windows applications. Linux is another OS and it has got drawbacks and
advantages compared to other OS.

Windows can't replace Linux and Linux can't replace Windows. If the OP
and others expect that Linux is a replacement for Windows, than they're
misinformed and bad experiences are bound to occur.