Re: I wish to advocate linux

On 2013/2/27 6:31 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/2/27 11:18 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Hasn't even run it, apprently, or at least wrote in an earlier message "But I don't run Linux."

Now that's it in a nutshell, isn't it.  Seems to me that Mark is simply a troll (certainly not a "debian-user")

I'm not a troll, Miles.
-snip-

Which brings us back to the question of: if not trolling, what is your purpose here?

Miles Fidelman

I'm trying to get help, Miles. I've been lurking. This didn't start out as my thread. "I wish to advocate linux" is not my aim. I merely made a comment about Linux advocacy and got jumped on. Whether you think I deserved to get jumped on or not, I got many messages in short order attacking me. I guess I did hit a nerve.

You insist on pointing out that mentally challenged people can install Debian. That's wonderful (a bit insulting too, don't you think?). I have not had that experience. My experience has been: I make (or buy) CDs. I boot them. I begin the installation. I'm asked a hundred times whether I want to install this program or that program. But I'm not at all prepared to choose because I don't know anything about Linux or the programs, so I choose to install them all. Then when I try to boot my new Linux installation, I get an error message that such-&-such program is missing and boot is terminating with a kernel panic or a failure code. This has happened many times. When I asked about this in Linux forums, I got answers that only a Linux guru would understand.

Let me give you an example of the kind of insensitivity (or myopic stupidity) that seems to be the hallmark of the Linux community. In the Debian live page, dd is offered as the way to copy the ISO file to a USB stick. But the dd program offered only runs in Linux! What good is that to someone who is running Windows at the time? It's like Linux is in it's own world.

I thought I was at a forum in which people would like to advocate for Linux and therefore would do what's needed to assure successful conversion from Windows to Linux, but instead I experience the same elitism and condescension I'd experienced at other Linux forums.

If you can't see that, then you are part of the problem. I give up. I apparently will never run Linux because I'm too stupid.