Re: I wish to advocate linux

> On 2013/2/27 6:31 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

>> Mark Filipak wrote:
>>> I'm not a troll, Miles.

Yes, you are. Lets see.

> I'm trying to get help, Miles.

What is the question?

> I've been lurking. This didn't start out as
> my thread. "I wish to advocate linux" is not my aim. I merely made a
> comment about Linux advocacy and got jumped on.

If you dont care about Linux advocacy, why did you comment here? This kind
of contradiction is typical of trolls. More on this paragraph below.

> Whether you think I
> deserved to get jumped on or not, I got many messages in short order
> attacking me. I guess I did hit a nerve.

No one attacked you. People are at most criticising your ideas the same
way you are criticising "Linux" I put Linux in quotation marks here
because you are not and cannot criticise Linux, which is the kernel. You
at most would be able to criticise some Linux distribuiton. But you NEVER
told you which distribution where you trying to install. It could even be
Android or some router embedded OS which also runs Linux.

> My experience has been: I make (or buy) CDs.

Which distribuiton?

> I boot them. I begin the installation.

Which hardware?

> I'm asked a hundred times whether I
> want to install this program or that program.

The certainly it is not Debian. There is not a hundred questions in the
installer. For software installation, there is only one question
(tasksel).

> But I'm not at all prepared
> to choose because I don't know anything about Linux or the programs, so I
> choose to install them all.

When you install Windows or Office you choose to install all options or
keep the default ones? If you don't know yet about Linux, why don't you
choose to keep the default options?

> Then when I try to boot my new Linux
> installation, I get an error message that such-&-such program is missing
> and boot is terminating with a kernel panic or a failure code. This has
> happened many times.

> When I asked about this in Linux forums, I got
> answers that only a Linux guru would understand.

If you asked at a Linux forum, you should have received very technical
answers. For user questions, you must ask at a distribution forum. Like
this one.

So, what is your question? Do you really have one or are you just trolling?

> Let me give you an example of the kind of insensitivity (or myopic
> stupidity) that seems to be the hallmark of the Linux community. In the
> Debian live page, dd is offered as the way to copy the ISO file to a USB
> stick. But the dd program offered only runs in Linux! What good is that to
> someone who is running Windows at the time? It's like Linux is in it's own
> world.

So here we have it. You are trying to run a Linux distribution from USB
stick. Somehing very exotic, not for beginers. Now I dare you to prove
that it is easier (or even possible) to do this with Windows. If you are
complaing that doing in Linux something that is impossible in Windows and
alleges that it is easier to do this thing in Windows is easier than in
Linux, you are...

                                      T R O L L I N G.

> I thought I was at a forum in which people would like to advocate for
> Linux and therefore would do what's needed to assure successful conversion
> from Windows to Linux,

You are in the wrong forum. Convertions are religion business.

> but instead I experience the same elitism and
> condescension I'd experienced at other Linux forums.

So, you don't want condescension, but if someone criticise you, then you
are being "jumped on". Can you see how ridiculous your argumentation
became?

> If you can't see that, then you are part of the problem. I give up. I
> apparently will never run Linux because I'm too stupid.

No one here cares about this. Here we are in the
answer-to-objective-questions-and-solve-real-problems business.

So, what is your question? What is your problem?

João.