Re: I wish to advocate linux

Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/2/27 11:18 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Hasn't even run it, apprently, or at least wrote in an earlier message "But I don't run Linux."

Now that's it in a nutshell, isn't it. Seems to me that Mark is simply a troll (certainly not a "debian-user")

I'm not a troll, Miles. I'm someone who started computing on IBM-360s in the 1970s, who progressed to HP3000-SPL and PDP11s and UNIX and Solaris and MS-DOS and MS-Windows. I played with Xenix, Minix and even BE-OS. I've never successfully installed any distribution of Linux. I don't know why, but when I tried to read the documentation I gave up. The documentation was simultaneously dumb and obtuse and way too wordy. So I concluded that Linux is a hobbiest OS without much real-world use.

I think what you're saying is that you're not very good at computing.

So what is it, exactly, that you're trying to accomplish here?

This is a list of and for debian users, and support of debian users - and I've found it rather knowledgeable and supportive community, and the question at hand is from someone who wants to advocate for Linux. All you seem to want to do is complain, grouse, brag about your depth of experience, and then promptly demonstrate your lack thereof (anybody who can install and configure Solaris should have no problem installing pretty much any Linux distro - since you haven't been able to, that kind of calls your experience into question).

Which brings us back to the question of: if not trolling, what is your purpose here?

Miles Fidelman