Re: I wish to advocate linux

On 2013/2/27 11:18 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:34:04 +0000,  Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com  <mailto:lisi.reisz%40gmail.com>> wrote:

> > Mark Filipak wrote:
> >> For everyone who doesn't have their own development department to adapt
> >> Linux kernels to their widget, Linux has been a toy OS for
> >> technoweenies. That hasn't changed in 10 years and Linux has made no
> >> headway on the desktop (or the laptop). Why is that?
> >
> > Toy OS for technoweenies?  Try server o/s powering an awful lot of major
> > applications.
> >
> > Desktop Linux has less of a value proposition.  Face it, most people use
> > computers at work, where you've got to run MS Office - which means
> > Windows or MacOS.  Real simple.
> >
> > Miles Fidelman
>
> Your attitude, Miles, is typical and is a large part of the problem.

What's wrong with it? And what problem?

You can't possibly persuade anyone else to use Linux while you so obviously
dislike it yourself.

Hasn't even run it, apprently, or at least wrote in an earlier message "But I don't run Linux."

Now that's it in a nutshell, isn't it.  Seems to me that Mark is simply a troll (certainly not a "debian-user")

Miles Fidelman

I'm not a troll, Miles. I'm someone who started computing on IBM-360s in the 1970s, who progressed to HP3000-SPL and PDP11s and UNIX and Solaris and MS-DOS and MS-Windows. I played with Xenix, Minix and even BE-OS. I've never successfully installed any distribution of Linux. I don't know why, but when I tried to read the documentation I gave up. The documentation was simultaneously dumb and obtuse and way too wordy. So I concluded that Linux is a hobbiest OS without much real-world use.

From your responses, it seems the situation has not changed. - Mark.