Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM, bruno.debian@cyberoso.com
<bruno.debian@cyberoso.com> wrote:
> Le Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:00:10 -0500,
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> a écrit :
>
>> On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> > agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB
>> > RAM. 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem
>>
>> You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:
>>
>> THE NIC
>>
>> > only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
>> > manageable L2 switch
>>
>> Does it support jumbo frames?  Post model# please.
>>
>> > standard windows share/samba  i think it uses TCP (not sure)
>>
>> Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP.  Samba
>> doesn't speak TCP.  CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack.  They
>> you can't "tune" Samba's network performance.  You can only tune
>> Linux' TCP performance, and Samba will benefit.
>>
>> You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list.
>> Please always post all technical details related to an issue.  Thus
>> far you have not.  As a rule, it's better to post too much
>> information that not enough.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Is the problem really the network? If you tested your thoughput c200 to
> 300 Mbpsopying a file, then I guess the bottleneck is your hard drive.
> Your 200 to 300 Mbps correspond to your disk throughput in my opinion.
> Try to use iperf to test your network throughput, and be well aware
> that your disk io will be the real bottleneck here.
sorry i got your question wrong sorry for my weakenlish

correct me if i am wrong becuase the drives that i baught has default
3 GB througput do you still thing
drives could be the bottleneck here?