Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
> i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
> copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
> files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
> 200 to 300 Mbps.

scp is a bad idea - think about all the encryption which significantly
decreases the throughput.
Read about tuning Linux network stack with sysctl. It will help in
case of samba.

net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1

> strange........... just 600mbps out of that strong system.

You seem to miss the fact that in bandwidth tests the other end of the
connection is also important and in my case it was:
>> 2 - Atom D525, 2GB ram, CF card, realtek 1Gb ethernet card

>> with iperf i get about 600mbps (in UDP mode or with custom TCP window size).

You need to do some research about high-speed networks and see that
there are many things that need taking care of.
1. What is the hardware which connects with the one you mentioned?
2. What are the specs of the network between them? Are there any
switches, APs, routers?
3. Do you use TCP or UDP?

--
Bartek Krawczyk